Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pride


I always hear the word "pride" attached to so many things.  People say they take "pride" in who they are or in their work or in their children.  In thinking about this I decided to see what the Lord has to say about "pride".  Turns out the Lord has a whole lot to say about it and these Bible verses are just the tip of the iceberg:

"Pride goes before destruction,  a haughty spirit before a fall." Proverbs 16:18 (NIV)

"When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." Proverbs 11:2 (NIV)

"Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice." Proverbs 13:10 (NIV)

"To fear the Lord is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech." Proverbs 8:13 (NIV)

"A man's pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor." Proverbs 29:23 (NIV)

"In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God." Psalm 10:4 (NIV)

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9(NIV)

Let's pray:  Dear Lord Jesus, I pray for this broken, prideful world.  I pray that we as a people would humble ourselves before You so You will heal us and save us.  I pray for Your favor and that Your wisdom will be upon us.  For salvation is only through Jesus.  There is nothing we can do or accomplish that will save us.  I say these things in Jesus' name. Amen.

www.karenejklein.com

No comments:

Post a Comment